Fire gutted a fifth-wheel travel trailer at the corner of Pioneer Road and Center Avenue just south of Los Banos early Tuesday afternoon.
Passing motorist Karoline Waggle spotted the fire and waved down the driver of the truck hauling the camper, who declined to identify himself, and called 9-1-1. Waggle said the fire crew told her the fire most likely started in the trailer’s converter box.
“They did everything right,” Waggle said. “They disconnected the truck and got the propane tanks out, but by the time they got the fire extinguisher out, it was already out of control.”
Two tenders from Merced County Fire and one from the Los Banos Fire Department responded to the call.