LOS BANOS — The Los Banos Police Department would like to remind the public about the importance of locking and removing valuables from vehicles that are parked outside. Residents can reduce the risk of becoming a victim by following some simple tips:
• Always keep doors locked.
• Keep valuables out of sight and when possible do not store them inside vehicle.
• Utilize outside lighting and install motion sensors.
• Investigate strange outside noises from a safe location or neighborhood dogs that may be barking.
• Work with neighbors to embrace some form of a neighborhood watch system and report suspicious activity to the police department.
• Cmdr. Ray Reyna with the Los Banos Police Department said its very important to record the make, model and serial number of valuables, including firearms, because it makes it easier to reunite victims with property the authorities do recover.
Anyone wishing to learn more about forming a neighborhood watch program can contact officer Noah Jones at (209) 827-0603. To leave an anonymous crime tip call (209) 827-7070 ext. 288 or visit www.losbanos.org and click on the report graffiti and other crime link at the bottom of the page.