Lit cigarette in trash leads to house fire

Staff ReportJune 8, 2013 

A smoldering cigarette discarded in a trash bin resulted in thousands of dollars in damage to a home last week.

The Fire Department responded to the 2000 block of La Vina Circle at 6 p.m. on May 30, said Chet Guintini.

"It was a simple fire that started in the trash containers," Guintini said. "They were up against a bedroom, and the fire did about $25,000 worth of damage to the exterior."

No one was hurt.

Guintini said an investigation revealed that a cigarette that was not completely out had been placed in the trash.

Two trucks and three command vehicles responded to the scene. Firefighters spent three hours at the home, making sure the fire was extinguished.

Guintini said there is just one sure way to avoid such an incident.

"The only advice is to make sure your cigarette is out before you put it in the trash," he said.

-- Corey Pride

— Corey Pride

The Los Banos Enterprise is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service