Friday, Oct. 26, 2012
Police offer simple steps to ensure safe Halloween
With Halloween approaching, the Los Banos Police Department would like to offer safety tips to make the holiday safe and fun for everyone:
* Dress children in costumes that are bright and reflective.
Consider adding reflective tape or a glow stick to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
* Reinforce the notion that traffic may not always see you. Always look both ways before crossing, do not run out into the street unexpectedly, and do your best to cross the street in groups at well-lit intersections.
* Consider securing emergency identification information (name, address, phone number) discreetly within Halloween attire or on a bracelet.
* Plan and review with your children the route and behavior which is acceptable to you.
* Agree on a specific time when your trick-or-treaters must return home. (A parent or responsible adult should always accompany younger children on their neighborhood rounds).
* Be sure to stay in a group, walk slowly and communicate where you are going.
* Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
* Never enter a stranger's home or car for a treat.
* Obey all traffic and pedestrian regulations. Always walk. Never run across a street.